LIVE feeds will appear here every Sunday at 9:55am. Youtube Live:
Rev. Beth Gedert – Pastor
Brian White – Music Director
June 12, 2022
2nd Sunday of Pentecost
Zion United Church of Christ
Prelude: Joyful music leads us into God’s presence and prepares our hearts and minds for worship.
Welcome: Rev. Fred Arzola
Lighting the Christ Candle
One: How manifold are your works, O Lord!
All: In wisdom you have made them all; the earth is full of your creatures.
One: You send forth your spirit, and they are created;
All: And so you renew the face of the earth.
One: I will sing to the Lord as long as I live;
All: I will praise my God while I have my being.
Hymn: Spirit, Spirit of Gentleness
Refrain: Spirit, Spirit of gentleness, blow through the wilderness calling and free;
Spirit, Spirit of restlessness, stir me from placidness, Wind, Wind on the sea.
1. You moved on the waters, you called to the deep, then you coaxed up the mountains
from the valleys of sleep; and over the eons you called to each thing:
wake from your slumbers and rise on your wings. Refrain.
2. You swept through the desert, you stung with the sand, and you goaded your people with a law and a land; and when they were blinded with their idols and lies,
then you spoke through your prophets to open their eyes. Refrain
3. You sang in a stable, you cried from a hill, then you whispered in silence when the whole world was still; and down in the city you called once again, when you blew through your people on the rush of the wind. Refrain
4. You call from tomorrow, you break ancient schemes, from the bondage of sorrow
the captives dream dreams, our women see visions, our men clear their eyes,
with bold new decisions your people arise. Refrain
Gathering Prayer: Holy God, who comes to us in breath, and sets us aflame with amazement and joy, you open our paths to new visions and guide our feet deeper into your wisdom. Give us faith to trust your presence. Amen.
Silent Prayer: We quietly offer our prayers to God.
Pastoral Prayer: We express our devotion and desires to God.
The Lord’s Prayer: (In unison) Our will Father, who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy name. Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors. Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil, for Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory forever. Amen.
Blessing and Teaching the Children: Students in grades K through 5 are invited to participate in Sunday School for the remainder of the worship service.
Scripture: Acts 2:1-21
Sermon: Rev. Fred Arzola
We root our teachings in ancient insights from the Bible. We listen with our minds and respond with our hearts to what the Scripture means in today’s world.
Moment for Ministry & Invitation to Give and Serve:
The work of Zion – caring for our members, serving Delaware, and supporting UCC Global Ministries –
is completely provided for through annual pledges and offerings given during worship. Thank you!
Hymn: Spirit of God
1. Spirit of God, bright Wind, breath that bids life begin, blow as you always do;
Create us anew. Give us the breath to sing, lifted on soaring wing,
Refrain: Held in your hands, borne on your wings.
Alleluia — Come, Spirit come! Alleluia — Come, Spirit come!
2. Spirit of God, bright Dove, grant us your peace and love, healing upon your wings
for all living things. For when we live your peace, captives will find release, Refrain
3. Spirit of God, bright Hands, even in far off lands You hold all the human race
In one warm embrace. No matter where we go, you hold us together so, Refrain
4. Spirit of God, bright Flame, send us in your holy name, the power to heal,
to share your love everywhere. We cannot fail or fall, or know defeat at all, Refrain
5. Spirit of God in all, we gladly hear your call, the life in our hands that sing,
The power of your wings. Born of your grace we rise, love shining in our eyes, Refrain
Zion United Church of Christ
51 W. Central Ave ~ Delaware OH 43015 – 740.362.6691
zionucc.org ~ facebook.com/UCCDelaware
Some songs are printed with permission under One License #739121A. All rights reserved
Give online: Welcome guests!
Or in the offering plates Let us know you were here.
on the hospitality tables. We won’t spam or bother you.
- Summer Outdoor Worship starts today! We will celebrate worship outside during the months of June, July, and August. Please bring your outside chairs. If it rains, then we will hold the service in the sanctuary.
- Potluck today! Join us after worship for our first potluck of the season. Please stay, even if you didn’t bring a dish to share. There is always enough to go around, and drinks, plates, and cutlery are provided.
- Sunday School – Starting today, the elementary class will be held inside of the garage. Nursery children will stay with their families. Also, we still have one teaching position per month that needs filled. If you are interested, please contact Liz Rauh at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Intertwine Youth Ministry meets tonight at William Street United Methodist Church.
- Summer Book Club (June). The congregation is invited to read one or all of the books that Pastor Beth will be reading, focused on Zion’s mission. For June, we will focus on walking humbly: Wholehearted Faith, by Rachel Held Evans. Discussion night led by Lisa Ho on Thursday, June 30th at 7pm in the air conditioned lower level, accessed by the elevator.
- Check out Game Night on Zoom this Friday night at 8:00 p.m.
- Prison Ministry – Remember to take a prayer request from people impacted by the justice system in the Delaware County Jail. Take it home with you and pray through the week. For more information on the prison ministry, please contact Sam Gedert at email@example.com or via cel at 614-284-0339
Zion UCC is an Open & Affirming congregation with diverse beliefs
whose mission is to do justice, love mercy and walk humbly with God (Micah 6:8).
Our Open and Affirming Covenant
As the people of God who gather at Zion United Church of Christ,
We make a solemn covenant with one another:
We will extravagantly welcome everyone who enters here.
We welcome every race. We welcome every gender. We welcome every age.
We welcome every expression of faith. We welcome every marital status.
We welcome every sexual orientation. We welcome every political party.
We welcome every type of body. We will not be divided by social issues.
We will not judge as the world does: by health, wealth, or skills.
We will not allow our past to define our future. We will transcend all labels.
We will always seek to affirm one another with loving hearts and open minds.
We will follow in the way of Christ Jesus, loving and being loved by both God and neighbor,
with the guidance and power of the Holy Spirit.
We will love one another for exactly who we are.
We promise that whoever we are and wherever we are on life’s journey,
we will extravagantly welcome everyone who enters here.
(Statement of Welcome adopted by the congregation in August 2008.)